Understanding your local waste and recycling collection schedule is the first step to proper trash disposal. This article provides everything Somerset, MA residents need to know about trash, recycling, and yard waste pickup days, guidelines, and policies.
Overview of Trash and Recycling in Somerset
The Town of Somerset provides trash and recycling collection services to all residential properties in town. The Department of Public Works oversees waste management.
Key facts about Somerset’s program:
- Weekly curbside trash pickup
- Bi-weekly single-stream recycling collection
- Yard waste pickup on scheduled weeks
- Bulk item disposal by appointment
- Holiday schedule changes
Trash collection is funded through property taxes and fees. Recycling is paid for by the town’s general fund.
Trash and Recycling Pickup Schedule
Trash, recycling, and yard waste are collected on designated days depending on where you live in Somerset.
- Monday: South of Route 103
- Tuesday: North of Route 103
- Monday: South of Route 103, every other week
- Tuesday: North of Route 103, every other week
- Collected with trash on scheduled weeks:
- Second week of the month: January through November
- First week of the month: December
Check the trash calendar for your personalized pickup schedule.
Bulk and White Good Disposal
Somerset residents can dispose of large household items like furniture, appliances, and mattresses through the bulk pickup program.
- Bulk items are collected by appointment only.
- Call DPW at 508-646-2835 to schedule.
- You must call by 2 PM the day before your trash day.
- Limit of 5 items per appointment.
- $10 pickup fee per item
- $20 fee for refrigerators, air conditioners, and dehumidifiers
- Fees can be paid by check to “Town of Somerset”
- Furniture, mattresses
- White goods (large appliances)
- Carpets, up to 6 feet rolled lengthwise
- TVs, electronics, tires
- Hazardous waste
- Construction debris
- Yard waste
Holiday Trash Schedule
Trash and recycling pickup is delayed by one day if the holiday falls on your normal collection day.
Somerset observes the following holidays:
- New Year’s Day
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- Presidents’ Day
- Patriots’ Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Columbus Day
- Veterans Day
- Thanksgiving & day after
- Christmas Day
Yard waste collection is cancelled on holiday weeks. Christmas tree disposal is available the first two weeks of January.
Check the holiday trash schedule for specifics.
Trash Policies and Regulations
Following the town’s trash guidelines ensures safe, efficient waste collection:
- All trash must be bagged – no loose items
- Place at curb by 7 AM on pickup day
- Bag weight limit: 30 lbs
- 5 barrel limit per week
- Closed lids on barrels required
- Do not place hazardous materials, electronics, tires, or yard waste in trash bags/barrels
Contact DPW if your trash or recycling is missed on your scheduled day:
- Call 508-646-2835
- Provide your name, address, and pickup details
- They will arrange pickup within 24 hours
Recycling Tips and Rules
Properly sorting recyclables reduces contamination and helps Somerset maintain an efficient program.
Accepted Curbside Items:
- Paper and cardboard
- Metal food/beverage cans
- Plastic bottles and containers (#1-7)
- Glass bottles and jars
- No plastic bags – empty contents into bin
- Rinse food residue but no need to scrub
- Do not bag or tie recyclables together
- Flattened cardboard fits better in bins
- Keep lids closed to prevent windblown litter
- Place 3 feet away from trash barrels
Special Waste Disposal
Somerset has specific collection procedures for electronics, hazardous chemicals, and other items requiring special handling.
- Paint, motor oil, cleaning chemicals, pesticides, more
- Drop off 1st Saturday of the month at Bristol County Household Hazardous Waste facility
- By appointment only – call 508-646-2835 to schedule
- Computers, TVs, printers, phones, appliances with cords
- Drop off at Highway Department 9 AM – 12 PM on scheduled Saturdays
- Check calendar for dates
- Fees range $5-$20 per item
- Car batteries and tires accepted at Highway Department
- $2 fee per tire off rim, $5 on rim
- Up to 20 pound tanks accepted at Highway Department
- Must be empty with valve removed
Yard Waste Policies
Follow these guidelines for proper yard waste disposal:
- Collect curbside on scheduled weeks only
- Place in paper bags or open-top barrels
- 10 bag/barrel limit per week
- Bundle branches under 4 feet long
- No plastic bags, dirt, rocks or trash
- Drop off at Highway Department first 2 weeks of January
- Remove all decorations and stands
- For large amounts of brush or leaves, contact a private disposal company to deliver to Highway Department. Fee charged by weight.
Changing Trash Service
Moving or need to change your pickup day? Contact the DPW:
- Email [email protected]
- Or call 508-646-2835
- Provide new address and pickup day needed
Somerset Trash Contacts
Bookmark these contacts to reach the town’s waste management teams:
- Website: Trash & Recycling Page
- Phone: 508-646-2835
- Email: [email protected]
- Address: 577 Whetstone Hill Road, Somerset, MA 02726
Hazardous Waste Disposal
- Phone: 508-646-2835
- Hours: 1st Saturday of the month, 9 AM – 12 PM
This guide covers everything Somerset residents need to know to properly dispose of waste and recyclables. Refer to it to access the latest collection schedules, policies, and contact information. Proper trash disposal keeps your neighborhood clean and safe.