Miami-Dade County provides trash and recycling collection services to residents and businesses through the Department of Solid Waste Management. This article covers Miami-Dade’s collection schedule, services, and key policies.
Overview of Trash and Recycling Services
- Weekly curbside trash collection for residences
- Bi-weekly curbside recycling for residences
- Weekly bulk and vegetation waste pickup
- Permanent household hazardous waste dropoff sites
- Commercial trash collection available
- Recycling required for businesses and institutions
Trash and recycling collection for unincorporated Miami-Dade County is handled by the Department of Solid Waste Management. The department provides weekly curbside trash and bi-weekly curbside recycling pickup for residents.
Residential Trash Collection
- Weekly curbside pickup for households
- Use county-issued carts or personal cans up to 40 gallons
- Place at curb by 6:30AM on collection day
- Find collection day by neighborhood using Collection Day Lookup
Residential trash is collected weekly at the curb on a designated day. The county provides 95-gallon carts or residents can use their own cans up to 40 gallons. Carts or cans cannot exceed 50 pounds. Trash should be placed at the curb by 6:30AM on collection day.
Residential Recycling Collection
- Bi-weekly curbside pickup on designated day
- Use county-issued recycling bins
- Sort accepted recyclables into bins
- Check Recycling Guide for accepted materials
Recycling pickup occurs bi-weekly on a scheduled day alternating with trash collection. The county provides recycling bins to sort designated recyclables, including paper, cardboard, aluminum cans, steel cans, glass, and plastic containers.
Bulk & Vegetation Waste Collection
- Weekly curbside pickup for bulk items and yard waste
- Bulk items include furniture, appliances, electronics
- Vegetation includes tree branches, leaves, grass
Miami-Dade provides weekly curbside collection of bulk items like furniture and appliances. Yard waste such as tree branches, leaves, and grass clippings are also picked up weekly. Follow bulk and vegetation waste policies for pickup.
Household Hazardous Waste
- Permanent drop-off locations at 3 Trash and Recycling Centers
- Accepts paint, pesticides, chemicals, batteries, fluorescent bulbs
- Materials banned from trash disposal
Household hazardous waste like chemicals, oil-based paints, pesticides, and batteries can be dropped off for free at three permanent Household Hazardous Waste dropoff locations.
Commercial Trash Collection
- Optional collection service for businesses and institutions
- Customizable plans for dumpsters, carts, and compactor service
- Recycling required for commercial entities
Businesses and institutions in unincorporated areas can opt for county trash collection through commercial service plans. Customizable options are available. All commercial entities are required to establish recycling programs.
Holiday Collection Schedule
Trash and recycling collection are suspended on these major holidays:
- New Year’s Day
- Independence Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
View the holiday calendar for exact dates. Collection moves to the following day for the remainder of the week after a holiday.
Eligibility and Fees
- Included service for residences in unincorporated Miami-Dade
- Funded through an annual Waste System Assessment on property tax bill
Trash and recycling collection are included services for residential properties in unincorporated Miami-Dade County. The services are paid through an annual Waste System Assessment fee on property tax bills.
Information and Contact
Learn more about Miami-Dade’s trash and recycling programs:
- Residential collection – Overview of services
- Holiday schedule – Changes for holidays
- Recycling guide – Accepted materials
Contact the Department of Solid Waste Management:
Email: [email protected]