Live in Agawam, MA and need the scoop on trash and recycling pickup? This guide covers everything Agawam residents need to know about collection schedules, holiday changes, services, guidelines and more.
Overview of Trash and Recycling in Agawam
The Town of Agawam provides weekly curbside trash and recycling collection for households through a contract with Republic Services.
Key facts about Agawam’s trash services:
- Trash and recycling are collected weekly on designated weekdays
- 95-gallon carts provided for recycling, 65-gallons for trash
- Extra trash requires purchase of official overflow bags
- No pickup on major holidays – schedule moves one day
- Bulk item pickup scheduled by appointment
General guidelines for Agawam trash and recycling:
- Carts must be curbside by 7am on collection day
- All trash must be bagged inside carts
- Recyclables should be clean and loose in cart
- Hazardous and banned items cannot be collected
- Report any collection issues promptly
See the full guidelines for Agawam trash and recycling.
Trash and Recycling Collection Schedule
Trash and recycling are collected weekly on designated days depending on your address.
Find your collection day:
- Locate your street on the pickup zone listing to get your assigned day and week
- Trash collection days are Monday through Friday
- Recycling collection is either Week A or Week B
Collection day calendar:
- Consult the collection calendar
- Shows recycling weeks, yard waste dates, and holidays
- Covers January 2023 through December 2023
- Trash and recycling are collected same day each week
- Collection days may change – verify your pickup schedule
- Report missed collections within 24 hours
Use the tools provided to lookup your exact Agawam trash and recycling schedule.
Holiday Collection Schedule Changes
On major holidays, trash and recycling pickup moves to the following day through the end of the week:
- New Year’s Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
For example, if your normal pickup is Thursday:
- Thursday holiday = Friday pickup
- Friday pickup = Saturday
View the collection calendar for exact adjusted dates.
- Verify your revised pickup day
- Set materials at curbside by 7am
- Remove bins promptly to avoid citations
Proper planning for holidays will prevent missed collections.
Trash and Recycling Guidelines
To keep pickup on schedule, Agawam residents must follow these guidelines:
- Place at curb by 7am on collection day
- Position 3 feet apart, away from obstacles
- Remove carts promptly after pickup
- Request repairs as needed
- All waste must be bagged inside cart
- Do not overfill cart or jam items
- Extra requires overflow bags ($15 for 5)
- All recyclables go in cart loose – no bags
- Rinse clean; remove caps, lids
- Break down cardboard boxes
- Cut cardboard to fit inside cart
- Hazardous materials
- Loose recyclables
- Car parts, tires, batteries
- Dirt, rocks, concrete
- Unscheduled bulk items
Refer to the full regulations for proper setup.
Bulk and Yard Waste Collection
Along with regular pickup, Agawam offers:
- By appointment, 6 months per year
- Includes large items, furniture, appliances
- Fees apply for some items
- Collected on recycling weeks April-November
- Must use paper bags or rigid containers
- Bundle brush; 4 feet maximum length
View the collection calendar for yard waste and bulk dates.
Hazardous Waste and Recycling
Agawam provides programs for hazardous and hard to recycle items:
- Household hazardous waste drop-off: For chemicals, oils, batteries. By appointment.
- Textile recovery: Donation bins around town for used clothing/textiles.
Learn more about Agawam’s waste bans, recycling, and disposal.
Changes to Trash Schedule or Missed Pickups
For any collection issues:
- Missed or delayed pickup – call Republic Services at 413-557-6700 within 24 hours
- Damaged carts – request repair or replacement
- Ask schedule or service questions – contact DPW at 413-786-0400
Collection calendars, street lists, and guidelines available on the Agawam DPW website.
Sign up for email alerts through the town notification system to get updates about trash and recycling.
Key Takeaways for Agawam Trash and Recycling
- Weekly curbside trash and recycling pickup provided
- Use online tools to find your assigned collection day
- Major holidays delay pickup by one day all week
- Follow guidelines for cart placement, overflow bags, bulk items
- Hazardous waste must be disposed separately
- Report any missed collections promptly to Republic Services
Now you’re an expert on Agawam trash and recycling! Let us know if you have any other questions.