Living in Honolulu comes with the perk of year-round beautiful weather. But with paradise comes responsibility – properly disposing of your rubbish and recyclables according to the city’s collection schedule. Follow this guide to ensure your trash and recycling are picked up on time.
Curbside Trash and Recycling Collection
The City and County of Honolulu provides curbside collection of rubbish, recyclables and green waste to residents living in houses, duplexes, and apartment buildings with fewer than five units.
Trash Cart Collection
- Trash carts are collected weekly on a set schedule depending on your location. Find your collection day by entering your address here.
- Carts must be placed at the curb or alley collection point by 6 AM on your collection day, but no earlier than 4 PM the previous day.
- Remove carts from the curb within 24 hours of collection. Storing carts in public view is prohibited.
Recycling Cart Collection
- Blue recycling carts are collected every other week on the same day as your trash cart. Check your collection schedule here.
- Recycle clean paper, cardboard, cans, bottles and jugs. Do not bag recyclables.
Green Waste Cart Collection
- Green waste carts are collected weekly on the same day as your trash cart. Check your schedule here.
- Green carts collect yard trimmings like leaves, grass, branches, etc. Do not include trash or recycling.
Bulky Item Pickup
Bulky items like furniture and appliances will be collected curbside for free by appointment.
- Schedule bulky item pickup online or by calling 768-3200.
- Place items curbside by 6 AM on your pickup day.
- Limit of 5 bulky items per collection. Excess items are subject to removal fees.
Can’t wait for pickup day? Take your trash, recycling and green waste to one of Oahu’s drop-off locations:
- Open 7:30 AM – 5:30 PM daily except City holidays
- Located in Aiea, Haleiwa, Kailua, Kāneʻohe, Waianae, Waipahu, and Waimanalo
- Accept household trash and recycling free of charge
- Charge small fees for bulky items, green waste, tires, etc.
- Open 7:30 AM – 2:30 PM daily except City holidays
- Located in Honouliuli and Kapaa
- Primarily for commercial trash but accept household quantities for a fee
- Charge by weight for waste disposal
Refuse and Recycling for Businesses
Businesses and organizations must arrange for private collection of rubbish, recyclables and green waste.
- Service rates and collection schedules determined by your private hauler
- Haulers must be registered and permitted by the City
- Find a licensed hauler here
Recycling Drop-Off Locations
Can’t fit all your plastics, cans and paper in your blue cart? Drop off extra recyclables at these locations:
- Honolulu Hale (Mon-Fri, 7:45 AM – 4:15 PM)
- Kapolei Hale & Waianae Neighborhood Community Center (Mon-Fri, 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM)
- All Oahu public libraries (hours vary)
HI-5 Redemption Centers
Earn cash for deposit cans, glass and plastic bottles at one of Oahu’s redemption centers. Centers accept:
- Aluminum cans
- Glass bottles
- Plastic bottles marked HI-5
- Limit up to 50 containers per person per day
- Find locations and hours here
Special Waste Disposal
Honolulu provides proper disposal for hazardous household waste, e-waste and other specialty items.
Household Hazardous Waste
Safely dispose of toxic cleaning products, oils, batteries and more at:
- Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events – see schedule here
- Honolulu Recovery and Transfer Station – By appointment only on Fridays and Saturdays. Call 692-5411 to schedule.
Drop off computers, TVs, printers, mobile phones and other electronic waste at:
- Weekly E-waste collection events – see dates and locations here
- Honolulu Recovery and Transfer Station – Fridays and Saturdays by appointment
Report abandoned vehicles on public property here. Provide photos, location and identifying details about the vehicle.
Dead Animal Removal
Call 768-3200 to arrange curbside pickup of a dead animal. For immediate removal of a deceased pet off of a public roadway, contact the Honolulu Police Department at 911.
Waste Reduction and Reuse
Reduce what ends up in the landfill by reusing, repurposing, and recycling.
- Shop at reuse stores and donate gently used items whenever possible. See a list of Oahu reuse organizations here.
- Compost food scraps and yard waste instead of sending to the landfill. Learn how here.
- Choose reusable foodware instead of disposable takeout containers, utensils and cups. See Honolulu’s Disposable Food Ware Ordinance here.
- Bring your own bag when shopping. Avoid single-use plastic bags which are banned on Oahu. Details here.
Contact the City’s Dept. of Environmental Services with any questions or concerns:
- Report illegal dumping, missed pickups, broken carts and other issues here
- View live cameras at Convenience Centers here
- General inquiries: [email protected] or 768-3200
Properly disposing of rubbish, recyclables and green waste is a shared kuleana on our island. When in doubt, check the schedule or ask for help. Keeping Honolulu clean and ‘āina healthy depends on you!