Living in Woburn? Want to make sure you take out the trash and recycling on the right days? This complete guide will tell you everything you need to know about Woburn’s trash and recycling schedule.
Overview of Trash and Recycling in Woburn
Woburn offers curbside collection of trash, recycling, and yard waste for residents. Here are some key things to know:
- Trash is collected once per week on your designated trash day.
- Recycling is collected every other week on your regular trash day. Neighborhoods are assigned “white weeks” and “orange weeks” alternating for recycling pickup.
- Yard waste pickup is available on your regular trash day during designated weeks in the spring, summer, and fall.
- Bulk items like furniture can be taken each week (one room’s worth). Mattresses are now banned from disposal.
- Christmas trees are collected on certain January dates after the holidays.
It’s important to follow the guidelines on what can and cannot be recycled as well as rules for yard waste and bulk items. We’ll cover these details below.
Finding Your Trash and Recycling Day
Trash and recycling days in Woburn depend on where you live. To find your scheduled pickup days:
- Check the printable 2023 trash calendar
- Look up your street address on the online collection day listing
- Call the Woburn Board of Health at 781-897-5920
Your trash day will be the same every week (either Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday).
Recycling alternates between white and orange weeks. If you live on certain streets along the Lexington border, odd house numbers fall on white weeks while even numbers are on orange weeks.
Trash Pickup Schedule and Rules
Regular trash must be at the curb by 7 AM on your designated weekday. If pickup falls on a holiday, pickup is delayed by one day that week.
These items are allowed in regular household trash:
- Everyday waste and food scraps
- One room’s worth of carpet per week cut in 3 ft sections and rolled/tied
- One bulk item per week like furniture
These items are prohibited:
- No construction debris (doors, sheetrock, wood, etc)
- No mattresses or box springs
- No hazardous waste (must be disposed separately)
Special rules also apply for certain items:
- Christmas trees will be collected on designated January dates. Remove all decorations and do not put trees in plastic bags.
- Appliances/CRTs can be scheduled for Friday pickup by calling Waste Management by Thursday at 3 PM. Fees apply.
- Tires, car batteries, waste oil can be dropped off on designated Saturdays. Check the city website for dates.
Always call within 24 hours if your trash is not collected on the scheduled day.
Recycling Collection Schedule and Rules
Recycling is collected every other week on your normal trash day. Check the 2023 calendar to see if you are on a white or orange week.
Place all recyclables together in bins, clearly labeled “Recycle.” No plastic bags allowed. Rinse containers clean.
These items can be recycled:
- Chipboard (cereal boxes)
- Newspapers, magazines, catalogs, junk mail
- Cardboard boxes broken down and flattened
- Glass bottles and jars
- Aluminum/steel cans
- Plastic bottles, jugs, jars marked #1-7
- Motor oil containers
- Pizza boxes (no food debris)
Do not include:
- Milk/juice cartons or boxes
- Plastic bags, wraps, or film
- Broken glass or dishes
- Aerosol spray cans
- Construction debris
Call within 24 hours if recycling is not collected.
Yard Waste Pickup
Yard waste is collected on your trash day during these periods in 2023:
- April 3-7
- May 1-5
- June 5-9
- July 17-21
- August 21-25
- September 25-29
- October 10-14
- November 6-10
- November 20-25
- December 4-8
Use paper yard waste bags or open barrels. No plastic bags allowed.
Follow these rules:
- Cut branches to 3 ft length and 2 inch diameter
- Bundle branches with twine
- No sod or soil allowed
If your regular pickup day falls on a holiday, pickup is delayed by one day that week.
These are the observed holidays that delay trash pickup in Woburn:
- January 16 – Martin Luther King Day
- February 20 – Presidents’ Day
- April 17 – Patriots’ Day
- May 29 – Memorial Day
- July 4 – Independence Day
- September 4 – Labor Day
- October 9 – Columbus Day
- November 23 – Thanksgiving
- December 25 – Christmas Day
So if your normal pickup is Mondays, pickup would slide to Tuesday after a holiday.
Hazardous Waste Disposal
Hazardous waste like chemicals, oil, batteries, and fluorescent bulbs cannot go in your curbside trash.
Woburn holds hazardous waste drop off days a few Saturdays per year. Items you can bring include:
- Fluorescent bulbs
- Button batteries
- Other mercury-containing products
Check the city website for the exact drop off dates and locations.
You can also drop off car batteries, motor oil, and propane tanks on designated Saturdays. Auto shops like Batteries Plus will take alkaline and rechargeable batteries.
Additional Recycling and Disposal Options
Beyond your curbside collection, Woburn offers a few other recycling and disposal programs:
- Christmas lights – Drop off at the Senior Center after the holidays
- Textiles – Place in pink bags and schedule curbside pickup for $5 per bag
- Scrap metal – Drop off at Holland Auto Parts Saturday mornings
- Books – Donate usable books to the Woburn Public Library
See the city website for details on dates, fees, and locations.
What If Pickup Is Missed?
If your trash, recycling, or yard waste isn’t collected on the scheduled day, you must call within 24 hours to report a missed pickup.
- For trash and recycling, call Waste Management at 781-933-2113
- For yard waste, call the Woburn Board of Health at 781-897-5920
This ensures your pickup will be rescheduled as soon as possible.
Get Email Reminders and Updates
To stay on top of the collection schedule, sign up for email and/or text alerts from the city. You’ll get reminders about trash day as well as updates if the schedule changes.
Visit the Woburn city website and look for the link to sign up for notifications under the Trash & Recycling page. This helps avoid forgotten trash carts or late set outs.
Recap of Key Woburn Trash and Recycling Tips
Here are some key takeaways for following Woburn’s waste collection schedule:
- Know your designated weekday for trash, recycling, and yard waste pickup
- Check the 2023 calendar for white and orange recycling weeks
- Have bins out by 7 AM on your pickup day
- Follow rules for what can and can’t be recycled
- Yard waste pickup is seasonal – check dates
- No hazardous waste in curbside trash
- Report missed pickups within 24 hours
- Sign up for email/text reminders and updates
- Recycle right and recycle often!
With this guide, you now have the knowledge to properly dispose of your household waste and keep Woburn clean. Contact the city’s health department if you have any other questions not covered here. Let’s work together for a sustainable Woburn!